[Python-Dev] marshal (was:Buffer interface in abstract.c? )

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:07:44 +0200

> > or maybe the buffer design needs an overhaul?
>
> I think most places that should use the charbuffer interface actually
> use the readbuffer interface.  This is what should be fixed.

ok.

btw, how about adding support for buffer access
to data that have strange internal formats (like cer-
tain PIL image memories) or isn't directly accessible
(like "virtual" and "abstract" image buffers in PIL 1.1).
something like:

int initbuffer(PyObject* obj, void** context);
int exitbuffer(PyObject* obj, void* context);

and corresponding context arguments to the
rest of the functions...

</F>