[Python-Dev] Pickling w/ low overhead

Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:47:04 -0500 (CDT)

    David> An issue which has dogged the NumPy project is that there is (to
    David> my knowledge) no way to pickle very large arrays without creating
    David> strings which contain all of the data.  This can be a problem
    David> given that NumPy arrays tend to be very large -- often several
    David> megabytes, sometimes much bigger.  This slows things down,
    David> sometimes a lot, depending on the platform. It seems that it
    David> should be possible to do something more efficient.

David,

Using __getstate__/__setstate__, could you create a compressed
representation using zlib or some other scheme?  I don't know how well
numeric data compresses in general, but that might help.  Also, I trust you
use cPickle when it's available, yes?

Skip Montanaro	| http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com  | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-475-3758