[Python-Dev] More flexible namespaces.

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri Apr 30 18:19:57 CEST 1999

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Guido wrote:
>
> > > From: Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>
> >
> > > I'd really like to look into that.
> > > Also I wouldn't worry too much about speed, since this is
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > such a cool feature. It might even be a speedup in some cases
> > > which otherwise would need more complex handling.
> > >
> > > May I have a look?
> >
> > Sure!
> >
> > (I've forwarded Christian the files per separate mail.)
>
> I don't know who you sent that to, but it couldn't possibly have been
> Christian!

:-) :-) truely not if I had'n other things in mind.

I know that I will not get more than 30-40 percent by compiling
the interpreter away, so I will not even spend time at a
register machine right now. Will also not follow the ideas of
P2C any longer, doesn't pay off.
Instead, If I can manage to create something like static binding
snapshots, then I could resolve many of the lookups and internal
method indirections, for time critical applications.
For all the rest, Python is pretty much fast enough.

I've begun to write s special platform dependant version
which allows me to do all the things which can't go into the dist.
For instance, I just saved some 10 percent by dynamically
patching some of the ParseTuple and BuildObject calls out of the
core code (ahem). I hope Python will stay as clean as it is,
allowing me to try all kinds of tricks for one machine class.

ciao - chris.speedy

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net