[Python-cuba] Request for PyPI mirror

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 02:58:53 EDT 2016

Hello !

In CubaConference 2016 , more exactly on April 27th , I'll be running
a development sprint in Havana . It'd be useful for us to setup a PyPI
mirror [1]_ it is just something we can not afford in Cuba . I mean ,
I've read that the size of such a clone used to be about 120GB (i.e.
125,829,120 KB) [2]_ , whereas other sources suggest it takes about
180 GB . If my maths skills don't betray me then downloading it at 130
KBps (which is the max speed I've seen when connecting to ETECSA
public WiFi hotspots) would take about 16131 hours (i.e. 672 days) and
would cost $32262 USD .

So , in a few words , if there's anyone coming to Havana in the next
few days and keen to prepare a PyPi mirror we can publish in a local
network and use during CubaConf 2016 sprints , please contact me .
Thanks in advance !

.. [1] http://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/mirrors/#complete-mirror-with-bandsnatch

.. [2] https://docs.continuum.io/anaconda-repository/mirrors-pypi-repository

.. [3] http://www.parsedcontent.com/2015/11/creating-pypi-mirror.html