[PYTHON-CRYPTO] PyCrypto Draft: Proposal 2001-02-18

Dan Parisien dan at eevolved.com
Sun Feb 18 19:48:38 CET 2001

On Sunday 18 February 2001 12:57, you wrote:

> http://www.stroeder.com/python/PyCrypto/PyCrypto-proposal-2001-02-18.tar.gz
>
> I will try to continously improve the documentation found on:
>
>  http://www.stroeder.com/python/PyCrypto/proposal.html

Nice document structure :)
Excellent initiative.

I'm not certain pyAES is pure python. Not the rijndael anyways.. it's a
swigged up c implementation.

> I would like to follow this short-time roadmap:
>
> 1. Discuss open issues of loader mechanism and module layout:
>  - Which key type for registry dictionary?
>    OIDs? Which representation of OIDs? String vs. tuple.

I agree with the tuple approach. Tuples can be used as keys in dictionaries
as well, so that simplifies lookup tasks. They can also be concatenated to
and I think I read in a previous post of yours that OIDs are prefixes and can
be extended to (so that problem is solved also).

>  - Passing arguments in factory function
> PyCrypto.registry.getInstance()
>    to __init__() methods of implementation classes.

As classes are a type just like any other, why not just return a reference to
the class and instantiate that?

>  - Performance? (mainly startup latency)

Q - Does this only apply when you need to access the implementation registry?
If you do not need the implementation registry, could you not use it?

Also, could the registry be implemented as a pickled dictionary contained in
a simple text file? Because it will be written to infrequently and read from
often... It may speed up the loading process.

>  - Implementors here should think about how to tie their modules to
>    this loader.

Add themselves to the pickled file in their setup.py distutils script?

>  - Documentation of this part.
>
> 2. Discuss class API of algorithm implementations:

I will read the code later.
Good job Michael.

Peace,
Dan