[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Requirements

Michael Ströder michael at STROEDER.COM
Wed Feb 14 08:57:58 CET 2001

Dan Parisien wrote:

> On Terça 13 Fevereiro 2001 21:08, you wrote:
>
> > You might be able to hide find_alg inside an __init__.py, but I think
> > pycrypto will need some localhost-config info to figure out which
> > implementation modules to load.
>
> Especially with hardware crypto implementations. How would you propose a
> programmer use the find alg?

For obvious reasons it's up to the system's administrator to
configure the preferred order of modules to use. (Think of security
aspects, performance vs. debugging needs etc.)

> AESImplementations = crypto.find("AES")
> for i in AESImplementations:
>         if implementation(i) == crypto.Hardware:
>                 # use this

No. System configuration is the most painless way.

> > > If sharing keys in your keyring with non-python apps is important, shelve
> > > is a bad solution for a keyring. The keyring solution should be simple
> > > and portable. Maybe an XML doc?
> >
> > shelve might be perfectly fine as one keyring implementation.
>
> So a keyring API standard should be written.

I would call it key store API to avoid being too closely associated
to PGP. It should be possible for implementors to e.g. implement a
key store API module for Netscape's database or Win32 CryptoAPI.

I admit that I'm still very abstract...but please be a little bit
patient.

Ciao, Michael.