[PYTHON-CRYPTO] [python-crypto] Add AES to amkCrypto?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at CNRI.RESTON.VA.US
Wed Feb 7 22:48:45 CET 2001

(Going through the thread on the egroups list...)

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:55:42PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>For details, read codecs.py and Misc/unicode.txt. The codec
>design originated in the Unicode implementation, but can be
>put to use in a lot of other different contexts as well.

Are you suggesting that we re-use the codec infrastructure in 2.0 to
create encrypting codecs, or just borrow the interface?  If the
former, I don't see how a codec would be passed a parameter such as
the key, # of rounds, &c. though if that's already possible, it would
be very nice; you would get encrypting stream readers and writers with
very little effort.

>as well (as RPM or as DLL for Windows). We could even try to tweak
>distutils into compiling OpenSSL as well, if that's a problem.

This seems impractical; OpenSSL has a configure script of its own, and
it seems pretty complicated.

--amk