[python-committers] Votes on new core dev candidates

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Mar 26 15:07:40 EDT 2019

On 26.03.2019 18:54, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>>> This is illogical. Knowing how and why certain people voted is useful
>>> information when you know that person (and it's also why we generally
>>> use options like -1, -0, +0, +1, and sometimes +/-100 ;) ). Without this
>>> added information, the *only* thing we have is bias, and I don't think
>>> we have a big enough group to average out individual bias in such
>>> important decisions as this.
>>
>> I guess we have a different understanding of bias, then :-)
>>
>> I prefer to base my votes and opinions on available information
>> much more than other people's votes and opinions. Using their
>> votes to cover up for lack of information does not make me
>> feel comfortable, so I try to get more information or abstain.
>
> The reason I'd like to know why people voted -1 is not because I plan to
> vote like them (I can vote on my own - or, in these cases, not vote).
> It's that I'd like to know what kind of objections people have against
> those particular contributors becoming core developers.

That's a fair reason, but you have to consider a couple of
side effects:

* These forums are public, so whatever negative someone
  writes is going to stay associated with the candidate.

* The person writing the negative feedback may see a backslash
  as well and again, because it's public, have this associated
  with him or her.

* The vote may still be in favor of signing up the candidate
  as core dev and the person publishing the negative feedback
  will have to work together with the candidate.

It's usually best to keep such discussions private or at least
confined to a smaller circle of people to work around all of
the above issues.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Mar 26 2019)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/