[python-committers] Promote Stefan Behnel as a core developer

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Sun Mar 24 17:12:32 EDT 2019

Le dim. 24 mars 2019 à 17:40, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> a écrit :
> I don't know.  If he's not very active in writing or reviewing PRs, then
> perhaps he doesn't _need_ core developer rights.

IMHO it's wrong to restrict the group of code developers to developers
who only produce codes. CPython is way more than code. You need the
infra, you need to tooling around CPython, you need the CI, etc.
Without these things, the code is way less atractive. It's like trying
to separate the code and the documentation, both strick together and
the two are important. We need more diversity in general ;-)

The PEP 13 defines who deserves to become a core developer:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0013/#membership

Extract:

* Managing the continuous integration infrastructure
* Managing the servers (website, tracker, documentation, etc.)
* Maintaining related projects (alternative interpreters, core
infrastructure like packaging, etc.)
* Creating visual designs

Technically, I don't think that any of these 3 "roles" require the
"commit bit" (merge a PR).

Victor