[python-committers] Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Feb 13 15:33:22 EST 2019

On Feb 12, 2019, at 18:01, Ned Deily <nad at python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2019, at 20:36, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 2019, at 13:59, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:
>> I know I can browse easily through a 161-message mailing-list or
>>> newsgroup thread using a traditional threaded view, read what I want,
>>> come back later to read the rest, etc.  But Discourse's linear
>>> presentation pretty much kills that ability.  It doesn't even allow
>>> *seeing* the structure of the discussion.
>> That’s pretty much my same, biggest gripe about long GitHub issues and PRs. ;)
>
> But you realize that this a feature, not a bug? :)
>
> https://blog.codinghorror.com/web-discussions-flat-by-design/

Unfortunately, that post doesn’t talk about all the problems with flat discussions, and there are many.  So if we have to, we can agree that both have advantages and disadvantages, both have their proponents and detractors, and very likely both are appropriate to some forums and discussions and inappropriate (or ineffective) for others.  Or maybe more succinctly: both are terrible. ;)

That tells me either that the problem is fundamentally unsolvable due to the nature of online discussions, or we’re asking the wrong questions.

As far as software darwinism is concerned, we can also admit that top posting has won, but not necessarily because it’s superior (in fact, IMHO it’s not).  It’s just that mobile and webmail has taken over and either because of laziness or U/I difficulties, inline replies are too difficult.

We live with plenty of inferior technology for reasons that aren’t entirely based on actual efficiency and ease of use.  Techmology! (with apologies to Ali G).

-Barry