[python-committers] Vote on governance will happen between Nov 16 - Nov 30

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:24:32 EDT 2018

[Tim, quoting Ping]> The following images visually demonstrate how
Plurality penalizes centrist

> > candidates and Borda favours them; how Approval and Condorcet yield
> nearly
> > identical results; and how the Hare method yields extremely strange
> > behaviour. ...

[Steven D'Aprano][

> Why am I not surprised that here in Australia, we use IRV for our House
> of Representatives and most state governments?
>
> This is getting off-topic, so I'll stop with this:  the push for iRV in
the United States is mostly by 3rd parties who are essentially wholly
locked out of any chance of winning under our plurality "winner takes all"
voting systems.

But, while Ping's page doesn't address this, there are good arguments on
the rangevoting site for why IRV is just as likely to ensure 2-party
dominance.  Which historical evidence appears to support. Indeed, on an
Australian government web page I can't find right now, it explicitly said
that your version of IRV favored 2-party dominance too.

But that's not really relevant here until we form pro-Inquisition and
anti-Inquisition parties (which, over time, will come to support the
opposites of their names say) :-)