[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Mariatta Wijaya mariatta at python.org
Thu Nov 15 13:11:26 EST 2018

> Shouldn't people who were not involved in the individual creation
> processes at least get two weeks to review the final work
> to make up their mind before entering a voting period ?
> It seems like we're completely skipping the review phase of the
> regular PEP process and going straight from PEP writing to
> a vote:

The period of Oct 8 (date when PEPs were due) up until Nov 15 (before
voting start) was meant as the "review" period, and this was stated in my
original email about timeline:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-August/005960.html

I did propose that there was a period where no more changes to PEP should
be made.

Copy pasting text from that email

*Oct 1 - Nov 15: Review period.*
> All core developers will review the PEPs, and ask any questions to the PEP
> author. This timeline allows for enough time for all core devs to carefully
> review each PEPs, and for authors to respond.
>

> *Review phase 1: Oct 1- Nov 1:* Allow changes and tweaks to the proposed
> PEPs.
> I figured people will have questions and will need to clarify the PEPs
> during this period. But if we want the PEP to be final by Oct 1, that's
> fine by me. maybe allow typo fixes still.
>

> *Review phase 2: Nov 1 00:00:00 UTC*: No more changes to the above PEPs.
> No more tweaks to these PEPs. PRs to these PEPs should be rejected.
> This is the final chance to carefully review all governance PEPs, and
> formulate your decisions.
>

> *Nov 15 00:00:00 UTC: Voting for new governance model starts, and will go
> for 2 weeks*
> Send reminders for folks to vote.

But I guess some people think that whole fixed timeline thing was bad idea,
so I didn't go and enforce all of this (also I took a break from life and
reduced responsibilities).

ᐧ