[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Nov 5 14:32:36 EST 2018

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 11:22, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 19:11, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> >> Anyhow, this is probably a bit off-topic again.
> >
> > Yes, but that's a drawback to mailing lists in my opinion and it's hard
> to avoid. :)
>
> I did consider what I would have done on Discourse, and came to the
> conclusion that I would have done exactly the same - I've no idea how
> Discourse would help with a "here's some things I thought of that I
> felt needed saying while reading this thread" post. Obviously I could
> move the reply to a new topic, but I could just as easily have changed
> the subject in the mailing list. So without meaning to ignore your
> smiley, I don't think it's really a fault with mailing lists, just
> with how people discuss things ;-)

In Discourse an admin could have selected every post related to "Discourse
versus Mailing Lists" and then created a new topic. Here, I can't do that,
and people who choose to keep replying to this thread on this topic (like I
am now :) will be accidentally, directly working against keeping the
conversation on-topic. So my comment was more general to this overall
thread than you specifically, Paul.