[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 23:24:36 EDT 2018

[Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com>,
 asking lots of good questions]
> I see that the PEP 8001 is still being updated (voting method). Should
> we still expect new changes before the vote starts?

I don't detect any groundswell of opposition anymore now that the
voting method changed.

Nevertheless, I probably won't vote - I object to public ballots on
principle.  That's been raised by others, so I won't repeat the
arguments, and I appear to be very much in a minority here.

> Can we set a deadline, like November 15 (Anywhere-on-Earth)?

Good idea!

> Which tool can be used to compute the vote result? Parse the text
> files in the Git repository and implement the Condorcet method.

"Pure Condorcet" is close to trivial to tally:  there is a Condorcet
winner, or there isn't.  I wouldn't even bother to write code to
figure it out.  For example, write a simple script to convert each
ballot to a single line for the following web page, paste the ballots
into the text box, and click the "Calculate all winners" button:

    https://www.cse.wustl.edu/~legrand/rbvote/calc.html

The result page will tell you whether or not a Condorcet winner
exists.  As a bonus, it will also tell you who the winner would be
under 15 different ranked-ballot scoring methods.  Which may be handy
to know in the unlikely case there isn't a Condorcet winner.  For
example, if "Schulze" and "Hare" (which was called "IRV" in the
previous PEP iteration) both pick the same winner then, I bet most
people would say "ah, good enough".