[python-committers] Marking issues as "Release Blocker" priority (was Re: FINAL WEEK FOR 3.7.0 CHANGES!)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu May 24 13:46:27 EDT 2018

On 05/24/2018 10:08 AM, Ned Deily wrote:
> If you (or anyone else) feels strongly enough about it, you should re-open the issue now and make it as a "release blocker" and we should discuss the implications and possible plans of action in the issue.

About that.  According to the Python Dev Guide:

    Whether a bug is a *release blocker* for the current release
    schedule is decided by the release manager. Triagers may recommend
    this priority and should add the release manager to the nosy list.

    https://devguide.python.org/triaging/#priority

Of course, a particular release manager (e.g. Ned here) can change the
policy for their releases.  But by default, unless you're the release
manager for release X, you should not mark issues as "Release Blocker"
for release X.  This seems like a sensible policy to me, and effective
immediately I'm going to hold to this policy for my releases (3.4 and 3.5).

//arry/