[python-committers] Proposing Mark Shannon to be a core developer

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon May 14 16:41:00 EDT 2018

Dr. Mark Shannon contributed the "key sharing dictionary" to Python,
writing both the PEP and the implementation.  This shipped in Python 3.3
and was listed as one of the top features of that release as according
to the "What's New?" document.

We've asked Mark in the past if he'd be interested in becoming a core
developer--and he actually said no.  At the time he said he didn't like
our antiquated workflow.  Now that we've switched to the git-based core
dev workflow, this objection is gone, and he's now interested in
accepting the commit bit and the responsibilities that it entails.

I suspect you, my colleagues in CPython core development, will be
surprised at the current state of affairs.  I'm expecting a load of "you
mean Mark *isn't* a core developer yet?" replies.

Submitted for your consideration,

//arry/