[python-committers] Comments on moving issues to GitHub

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jun 2 22:49:24 EDT 2018

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 at 14:58 Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 10:26 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 at 12:47 Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> [SNIP]

> >> Not sure what you mean by "support"? There are only two maintainers of
> the
> >> bug tracker, they both are also Python core developers: Brett and Ezio.
> My
> >> personal opinion is: they're more valuable elsewhere instead of
> supporting
> >> the bug tracker. At its current state, the bug tracker is not ready to
> take
> >> up new contributors, and it will not be easy effort to onboard new bpo
> >> maintainers.
> >

> > I actually wouldn't list me as a maintainer of b.p.o. I only have passing
> > knowledge of the code due to reviewing Ezio's changes to support the CLA
> > bot. It used to be RDM, Ezio, and Maciej, then DRM got busy, and then
> Maciej
> > got busy with helping move our hosting over to OpenShift and off of our
> > previously free hosting provider who sold their business (I also think
> > Maciej is also busy with other things). I don't know what Ezio's
> > availability currently sits at, but I have not heard from him recently.
> >

> I haven't actively worked on the tracker, but I kept an eye on it and
> acting when needed (e.g. yesterday I deployed a fix committed by
> Berker :).
> If needed I can pick it up again.

Great! So now we're tied for GitHub and b.p.o maintenance. ;)

> It should also be mentioned that before us, MvL also used to work on
> the tracker, and he added the Rietveld and openid integration (and
> these parts are not very well maintained now).

Oh, the list of former contributors was not meant to be exhaustive, more
just who I could remember during the GitHub transition days.

> > If you look at
> > https://hg.python.org/tracker/roundup/shortlog/bugs.python.org there
> has not
> > been an update to the repo's code in 8 months but there have been
> reported
> > issues as recently as yesterday:
> > http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/ .
> >

> This is a bit misleading:
> * that repo is updated only when Roundup is updated otherwise it sits
> there waiting for a new release. Roundup 1.6 is going to be released
> soon;

Sorry about that, I just grabbed the URL the contribution docs say to work
from for Roundup and didn't notice the extra URL for configuration.

> * the repo for our instance is
> https://hg.python.org/tracker/python-dev/shortlog/default .  This also
> didn't get many commits lately, however
> * the meta tracker also didn't get many new issues.  Only 7 issues in
> the metatracker have had any activity in the last 3 months, 2 are
> about SSL failure/certificates, 3 are about email ending up in the
> spam, one is about Google auth (however I'm not familiar with that
> part of the code), and the last one is a minor issue with a simple fix
> that needs to be tested/deployed.
>
> IOW there aren't many commits because there aren't that many issues
> with the code and because Roundup 1.6 hasn't been released yet.
>

> As mentioned above, the Roundup team is about to release Roundup 1.6.
> This release drops support for Python <2.7.
> AFAIU the infra team wanted to move/upgrade the machine running b.p.o
> (that is currently still running Python 2.6).  When that happens (and
> once Roundup 1.6 is released) we will upgrade it.
>

> > IOW I consider b.p.o unmaintained ATM. Mark Mangoba and the PSF
> > infrastructure team can re-start the instance if it falls over, but no
> one
> > is working on e.g. fixing log-in issues or any of the various UX issues
> we
> > are all painfully aware that b.p.o has.
> >
> > As I said at the language summit, if people want to keep b.p.o around
> then
> > we need to get some volunteers to staff it. I personally would like to
> see
> > three people step forward and say they will work to improve b.p.o to make
> > sure it functions as expected now and plan to improve it long-term. But I
> > personally would settle for just two people actively working towards
> making
> > b.p.o a tenable solution (the three person goal is just from experience
> of
> > always wanting at least one backup even if someone goes on vacation or
> does
> > an OSS detox).
> >

> It depends on what kind of maintenance we need.  In its current state
> b.p.o is quite stable and requires little maintenance IMHO.

I would be more inclined to agree if we didn't have so many login problems
(e.g. I have needed to manually go in and set people's passwords to reset
it due to issues getting password reset emails).

> If instead we want to start adding (and fixing/maintaining) new
> features, then the situation is different.
>
> For the latter to happen, I would like to first see a PEP discussing
> what desired features GitHub has that Roundup doesn't and vice versa
> (Nick's list and Mariatta's slides and notes are a good starting
> point, but they should be consolidated and include the feedback
> expressed by other core devs on this thread).

I believe the plan is to have a round of proposals, including staying on
b.p.o (but I'm not driving this so I could be wrong :) .

Yep.