[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 20 11:58:09 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018, 07:51 Nick Coghlan, <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2018 at 16:42, Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree a name other than BDFL should be chosen, especially since (as
> > I understand it) Guido is still BDFL but just taking a permanent
> > vacation, and the name implies there should only be one.
> >
> > Also, if we're considering particular people, I think Nick should also
> > be considered.
>
> As much as I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm actively working
> to reduce my open source commitments and responsibilities at the
> moment, not increase them. Burnout's a thing, y'all, especially when
> you have the attention span of a caffeinated squirrel and get involved
> in far more things than you could ever hope to see through to
> completion in a reasonable period of time :)
>
> And that's my primary concern with any proposals to put a comparable
> level of stress to that which Guido has been handling for years on to
> another volunteer's shoulders: I don't think it's an even remotely
> reasonable thing to request of a community volunteer.
>
> Guido was willing to do it for so long because Python was his
> creation, and he grew into the increasing demands of the BDFL role as
> time went by, but even he eventually reached the point of saying "I
> don't want to do this any more - the personal costs are outweighing
> the personal benefits". There's no way that a new individual in a
> comparable role to Guido's is going to have an easier time of it than
> Guido did, and a lot of good reasons to believe that they will find it
> significantly harder (not least of which is that Guido has been able
> to request 50% funded "BDFL-time" from his employers since he joined
> Google in 2005, and it's unlikely that a newcomer to the role would
> enjoy that benefit any time soon).

While I'm purposefully staying out of this thread as my name is currently
so strongly associated with it and I don't want people thinking I'm a
megalomaniac, I will say that I see no reason why I wouldn't get 50% time
at Microsoft if I asked for it (I already get a day/week plus email reading
every day).

I also agreed to Barry's proposal under the expectation that I would still
take a month off every year and one day a week like I do already. That plus
a council of folks to help with the load makes me think I can handle the
workload without having to sacrifice more personal time than I'm already
comfortable doing now. I also think that we as a team and a community are a
bit more aware of the issue of burnout thanks to Guido's retirement.

Plus Andrea said it was okay 😉 (The cat was indifferent.)

-Brett