[python-committers] Language moratorium

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Thu Jul 19 16:40:19 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:24:17AM +0200, Victor Stinner wrote:
> On of the reason which motivated Facebook and Instagram to migrate
> from Python 2.7 directly to 3.5 was to get the new async and await
> keywords. So new syntaxes can be the new "killer feature" of a
> specific Python release, at least for some use cases.

This is definitely true. But Python is very strong now, much stronger
than during the last moratorium.

So in general I think making a decision for a 12 months moratorium should
not be viewed by the community as a weak "policy of not having a policy",
but as a signal of strength.

Suppose people take long vacations, take a distance to the whole PEP 572
situation, perhaps reevaluate; there is always the possibility of overlooking
a very simple solution that becomes apparent after a while.

Stefan Krah