[python-committers] Proposal: an explicit, time-limited moratorium on finalizing any governance decisions

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 19 11:59:29 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 22:32 Carol Willing, <willingc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ethan for clarifying. Totally cool if that is the case.
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 10:19 PM Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
>> On 07/18/2018 09:40 PM, Carol Willing wrote:
>> > I am in favor of a time limit. Yet, October 1 seems a bit too long for
>> the initial governance decision (i.e. how to
>> > decide how to decide). My perspective, based on transitions in
>> non-profits and the corporate world, is that the longer
>> > an organization let's it draw out then fear, uncertainty, and doubt
>> creep in.
>> >
>> > We have PEP 10 in place for a strawperson vote. It seems as good as
>> anything to use to determine how to make a decision.
>> > Perhaps set a 30 day deadline to submit decision process
>> recommendations. Then take a strawperson poll on each and at
>> > the core sprint create a time window for specific proposals on
>> structure be submitted before October 1.
>> >
>> > My concern if we leave how to decide until at least Oct 1 that the
>> likelihood of completing this year is fairly low.
>>
>> My understanding is that, between now and Oct 1, we'll all get our
>> proposals together for both how to decide, and what
>> to decide.  Then we have the first vote to decide how to decide, then
>> maybe a week or two later we use that mechanism to
>> decide on a governance model.

I had Carol's same worry that while it's great to have a "no sooner than"
date, we also can't let this drag on and we have no "settle by" date, else
we risk losing the faith of the community in our ability to come together
and make decisions (e.g. if I heard it took a year for a project to resolve
this then I would think there was some major divisiveness on the team).

So could we go with Nathaniel's idea of no decision before October, but any
proposals to be ready by then as well as Ethan suggested?

I would also propose we have a goal of at least choosing the governance
model by the end of the year (and a stretch goal to even have people placed
into created positions by then as well). I have no problem with sooner, but
I think it might be good to try to put _some_ upper bound on this.

-Brett