[python-committers] Transfer of power

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Sat Jul 14 03:16:23 EDT 2018

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 7:54 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If there are 3 Elders [snip]

It looks like the number 3 is popular in this context. What makes it so attractive?

I see a bunch of problems with such a low number, like the ability for a single corporation to take over the design process of Python by employing just two of the three members (consistently voting over the third one). 3 also has high likelihood of ties if one of the members abstains. And so on.

Taking a step back, before we talk names, term limits and even numbers of council members, Python needs a "constitution" which will codify what the council is and how it functions. Barry calls it PEP 2 but I'd like to understand who is supposed to author it and who is supposed to accept it.

Any committer is in a position to suggest parts of or the entirety of such a document. Otherwise we create a fractal problem of who and how decides on who shouId be writing it. Ultimately we are volunteers, the ones who step up and do the work.

Ideally Guido would accept the PEP but I'm not sure if he is willing to. If that is indeed the case then how should this be done so that the document is universally accepted by all committers?

-- Ł