[python-committers] Transfer of power

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Thu Jul 12 14:51:19 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-12 20:02, Yury Selivanov wrote:
> Another worry -- Guido knows mostly everything about all aspects of
> Python design in all fields.  To illustrate my point, I'm particularly
> worried about async/await, asyncio/trio/twisted ecosystem -- so far it
> seems that it's only Guido and I who've spent a huge chunk of their
> time maintaining (or caring about) it.  We have many other critical
> fields besides async: general language design, packaging, scientific
> ecosystem, web (partially overlaps with async), performance, etc.
> Essentially we need to build our N-virate to have knowledgable
> representatives (formally known as BDFL-delegates) from all of those
> fields, otherwise the language can stop evolving in some important
> directions.

I understand that you are worried. But you don't have to be member of an
hypothetical N-virate in order to stir asyncio into the future. I
assumme that the trusted and wise members of the N-virate will recognize
you as domain expert for asyncio and listen to your advise. We already
have the concept of BDFL delegate for PEPs and should adapt the idea.

As Brett pointed out in one of his replies, N-virate should guarantee
long-term stability and consistency of the language. It's not the job of
the N-virate to control every little details. I envision the gremium a
bit like SCOTUS. SCOP, Supreme Court of Python, has a nice ring.

Christian