[python-committers] Travis CI: macOS is now blocking -- remove macOS from Travis CI?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 19:33:11 EDT 2017

If you find a macOS CI platform with more capacity, please let me know :-)

Travis has been totally underwater of late, but I don't know of any
alternatives; probably because operating a fleet of macOS builders is a
giant pain. You need Apple hardware, and it turns out you can either
purchase a trashcan or a mac mini, and neither of those is really designed
for a server farm.

If anyone here can magically whisper in Tim Cook's ear, can you ask him to
license macOS to AWS or Google Cloud or something?

:-(,
Alex

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 at 15:04 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 19, 2017, at 15:32, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > The macOS job has been removed from Travis CI at the beginnig of the
>> > CPython sprint two weeks ago. Since the macOS build was removed, I'm
>> > less annoyed by Travis CI: it seems more stable.
>> >
>> > Are you ok to not add again the macOS job to Travis CI?
>> >
>> > Again, my rationale is that we already have 3 macOS buildbots and I'm
>> > looking closely at all buildbot failures. I try to keep track of *all*
>> > failures, even random failure. A recent macOS example:
>> > https://bugs.python.org/issue31510
>> >
>> > Sadly, remaining random failures are the most rare and most difficult
>> > to reproduce. (I fixed a lot of them last months.)
>>
>> If the macOS tests aren’t stable, then yes, removing them is better than
>> frustrating developers who can’t reproduce CI failures, even on the CI
>> machines let alone their own development boxes.
>>
>> I forget though, was it a problem with macOS CI stability or general
>> throughput?  I thought they just couldn’t keep up with the workload, in
>> which case it seems like we should be able to throw more resources at it,
>> right?
>>

> If it is a Travis issue then there are no more resources to throw at it
> from a Travis perspective: what they are already providing us is rather
> large and paying out of pocket is rather costly. The only other option is
> to find another CI provider who has macOS support and use them just for
> that platform.

GPG Key fingerprint: D1B3 ADC0 E023 8CA6