[python-committers] Feedback on the new CPython workflow

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu May 18 13:00:27 EDT 2017

> The question is: since backport branch is temporary and gets deleted once PR
> is created, is this even important?

I stopped using cherry-picker.py to use a simple shell script for the
last step, create a PR from a local branch, because I had too many
branches with "random" names. I also like keeping local branches until
they are merged.

My shell script ~/bin/gh_pr.sh:
---
set -e -x
if [[ "$1" = "-f" ]]; then
    force=-f
else
    force=
fi
local_branch=$(git name-rev --name-only HEAD)
ref_branch=$(basename $(pwd))
echo "branches: $local_branch -> $ref_branch"
project=cpython
git push haypo HEAD $force
URL="https://github.com/python/$project/compare/$ref_branch...haypo:$local_branch?expand=1"
python3 -m webbrowser $URL
---

> If so, please open an issue in core-workflow :)

I will retry cherry-picker.py and try implement my request :-)

Victor