[python-committers] Is clang testing necessary?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Mar 24 09:43:31 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am curious about the decision to have Travis-CI tests with both clang
and gcc.  clang is a compiler which strives to be very compatible with
gcc.  I would understand testing under OS X with clang in addition to
Linux with gcc, but I'm skeptical we gain much from testing both gcc and
clang under Linux.  Also, it lengthens CI times, as clang produces
slower code in debug mode than gcc does (because we use "-Og" on gcc).

Or perhaps we could switch the clang build to produce a non-debug
interpreter (and therefore a faster test suite)?

Regards