[python-committers] Please edit the commit message when merge a PR

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jul 11 12:39:46 EDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 07:57 Berker Peksağ <berker.peksag at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > When a PR is consistent on several commits, the final commit message
> > composed by GitHub contains messages of all these commits: "fix typo",
> > "address yyy comments", "revert zzz". If the initial commit message
> > contained errors (e.g. absent issue number), it is easy to edit the title
> > and text of a PR, but the initial commit message lefts unchanged. GitHub
> > allows to edit the commit message of squashed commit, and please don't
> > ignore this possibility. Otherwise the commit message in the repository
> will
> > be ugly if not worse.
>
> +1! (and thank you for writing this email, Serhiy)
>
> I can't think of a way to automatically prevent a PR from merging if
> body of the squashed commit contains "fix typo" commits. I think this
> is a pretty annoying problem and perhaps we should ask contributors to
> squash multiple commits themselves even if we continue to use the
> "squash and merge" option.

There's isn't a way to block a merge at that stage. But one thing I've been
thinking about is adding a check to Bedevere post-merge that sees if the
commit message was left unchanged (not quite sure  if I can come up with a
reliable heuristic, though). In instances where the committers forgot,
Bedevere would simply leave a message saying something like, "Hey, thanks
for taking the time to merge a PR, but please don't forget to clean up the
commit message before merging." Basically a friendly reminder to not forget
next time (I'm also thinking of doing something similar for the formatting
of the PR title after merging).