[python-committers] Please edit the commit message when merge a PR

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jul 10 11:35:07 EDT 2017

Often the committer has more context to write a proper commit message, and
asking the contributor to do the squash is just wasting time (plus in
general we *don't* want contributors to squash, since that loses the
context for the review). So I'm with Sergey. This is how we do it in the
mypy-related projects.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 04:57 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
> >I would prefer to ask the author to squash and/or rebase his/her
> >commits rather than having to edit the commit message myself. I prefer
> >that the commit message is part of the review, and not only done by
> >the one who clicks on the Merge button.
> >
> >It would prefer mistakes in the commit message.
> >
> >GitHub PR UI is not ideal to review commit messages :-/
>
> GitLab is roughly the same, and I always edit commit messages when squash
> merging.  While ideally the author could do this, I think sensible commit
> messages are more important, so +1 for having the committer edit them at
> their
> discretion.
>
> -Barry

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)