[python-committers] My cavalier and aggressive manner, API change and bugs introduced for basically zero benefit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 06:33:08 EST 2017

On 20 January 2017 at 21:45, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by "author"? As you wrote, Python is now 26 years
> old, so it had a very long history, and each file has a very long list
> of "authors". I guess that you mean more a "maintainer".
>
> My problem is that I'm not aware of any explicit list of maintainers.
> I didn't know that you were the maintainer of the random module before
> you told me that at the Facebook sprint last september. I didn't
> expect that the random module had a maintainer, I thought that any
> core developer would be allowed to modify the code.

Specific areas of interest and expertise are listed in the Developer's
Guide: https://docs.python.org/devguide/experts.html#experts

Typing any of the headings in that table into the Nosy list on
bugs.python.org will auto-populate a dropdown with the relevant table
entry.

If I'd thought of it at the time, I would have asked Raymond and Mark
to double-check we hadn't broken anything in the random module
initialisation with the os.urandom() changes for 3.6, but it didn't
occur to me to do so since my main focus was on string hashing, the
secrets module, and direct use of the os.urandom() and os.getrandom()
APIs.

Cheers,
Nick.