[python-committers] mention-bot is dead, long live the (misnamed) CODEOWNERS file!

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Thu Aug 3 12:31:08 EDT 2017

On 02Aug2017 2001, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org
>> <mailto:steve.dower at python.org>> wrote:
>
>>     I have no strong opinion about core vs non-core dev, but I think
>>     part of the point of the distinction is reflected here. Why would we
>>     notify someone about every PR in an area if we don’t want them to be
>>     committers?
>
> I not sure what 'them' you are speaking of.  I am thinking about active
> contributors who are potential committers.  Part of becoming a committer
> is demonstrating the ability to do committer-qualify reviews.

Agreed, and perhaps this is similar to when we give someone triage
permissions on b.p.o without making them a committer?

My thoughts here are:
* would we add someone to the codeowners file who *hadn't* demonstrated
the ability to do committer-quality reviews?
* if someone has demonstrated the ability to do committer-quality
reviews, why aren't they made a committer?

I think the answer to the first is clearly no, but the answer to the
second is more complicated, which is why we probably will end up
treating this as "you've demonstrated useful reviews already so here's a
way to help you demonstrate more until we decide to also let you click
merge".

Cheers,
Steve