[python-committers] Codecov and PR

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:29:25 EDT 2017

Hi,

I tried to merge a pull request on my phone, but I got the error:

"Pull requests that have a failing status can’t be merged on a phone."

The GitHub PEP announced that it will be possible to merge a change from
the beach. Well, it's doable but only if you bring a laptop, not a phone :-)

All tests pass except Codecov which is unstable. On a computer, I can merge
such PR.

What is the status of Codecov? Is someone actively working on fixing it to
make it more reliable. I dislike code coverage in general, even more when
it's run in a CI.

Can we change the merge policy to allow merge on a phone? Or can we fix
Codecov?

Note: the PR is
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1237#pullrequestreview-34044762

Codecov says "10% of diff hit (target: 100%)". The newly added code is
tested on Windows on release build. Maybe Codecov only tests on Windows?

I dislike code coverage because there is a temptation to write artficial
tests whereas the code is tested indirectly or the code is not important
enough to *require* tests.

Victor