[python-committers] Python 3.6 Release Schedule Details

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Oct 2 16:20:10 CEST 2015

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:24:18 -0400, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> Another change has been to add a fourth beta and drop the third
> release candidate.  My gut feeling from the past several releases is
> that a lot of feature code does not get checked in until close to the
> b1 feature code cutoff so that extending the beta phase should result
> in more testing exposure for all features.  And I would like to reduce
> the amount of churn during the release candidate phase: a worthy goal
> is to make no changes after rc1, so that an rc2 would be be made only
> if absolutely necessary.

I would like to be wrong, but I think this is unrealistic.  The reality
seems to be that there are a significant number of people (especially on
the Windows side, if I'm guessing correctly) who do not test until we
get to RC1.  IIRC we had a number of changes between RC1 and RC2, and a
non-trivial number of changes between RC2 and RC3 this time around.

That said, I do feel the amount of pre-release testing, even in the beta
part of the cycle, has increased steadily in the past two or three
releases, which is great to see.

--David