[python-committers] Proposed core developer for contributing to multiprocessing

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jan 10 00:03:07 CET 2015

On 09.01.2015 23:52, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Le 09/01/2015 23:47, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
>>
>> Antoine and Victor argued that new developers should first
>> show their skills by submitting patches to tickets, working
>> with other core devs before getting the commit bit set.
>>
>> My suggestion was allowing new developers to start committing
>> patches themselves before having worked on dozens of tickets
>> using the usual patch approach.
>
> What would that bring? Reverting commits or asking people to make post
> hoc changes is much more bothersome than making pre-commit code reviews.
>
> And I don't see how it's beneficial to ask developers to commit up front
> while we're trying to promote a culture of code review, anyway.

Sorry, that was not what I meant. There should still be code reviews.

The point here is getting people to take responsibility.

As core dev you do have responsibility. A contributor uploading
a patch to a ticket can still rely on the final judgement of the
core dev applying the patch, so there's less responsibility
involved for the contributor.

If the contributor gets to work as core dev early, the motivation
and feeling for responsibility will change. That's main driver.

In the current case, there's a developer who has not worked on
dozens of tickets, but has the trust of Raymond to do a good
job at maintaining the multiprocessing module. By giving
Davin commit rights with a probation period, we'd be investing
trust and hopefully get motivation as return on investment ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 09 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/