[python-committers] Would anyone STOP contributing to Python if we used GitHub?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Dec 15 16:11:26 EST 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 at 12:49 Neil Schemenauer <nas-python at arctrix.com>
wrote:

> On 2015-12-15, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> > Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:
> > > Also realize that anyone who says they will walk away will be held to
> > > their word; if we still choose to switch to GitHub I will expect you to
> > > no longer contribute to Python and will personally hold you to your
> word
> >
> > seems a little strong. Even principled people can change their minds
> about
> > things, can't they? To me, this does come across like an ultimatum
> (Stefan's
> > word) or a threat (your word)
>
> I agree this is too strong.  If people don't want to use GitHub,
> they can clone from a different repos, maybe PSF can even provide
> one.  Patches can be sent using the 'git am' command.  I don't see
> why not using GitHub means you can't contribute to Python.  We would
> be rejecting valuable contributions for no good reason.

> You could say something like "you will not get commit access through
> GitHub".  I.e. you will have to get someone else to commit or pull
> your changes.

That's exactly what I meant; I'm not going to push to ban someone from
uploading a patch to bugs.python.org. This is entirely about commit/push
privileges and who would relinquish them if we switched to GitHub (and
simply expecting them to follow through on their relinquishment if they
said they would).