[python-committers] Would anyone STOP contributing to Python if we used GitHub?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Dec 13 14:28:04 EST 2015

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 at 09:55 s.krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:

> *Brett Cannon <brett at python.org <brett at python.org>>* wrote:
> > You can email me privately if you want, but let me know if you care if I
> share this with
> > very select people like Guido. Also realize that anyone who says they
> will walk away will
> > be held to their word; if we still choose to switch to GitHub I will
> expect you to no longer
> > contribute to Python and will personally hold you to your word (which
> also makes private
> > emails a little moot, but I can understand if you would rather fade away
> than make a public
> > political statement). I'm saying this not to be threaten people into not
> giving me an answer
> > but because I want to get the point across that this is a very serious
> question, so I don't
> > want any wavering on the answer.
>
> This doesn't concern me, since I've already said on core-workflow that
> I'll stay
> regardless of the decision.   Still, this sounds more like an ultimatum
> than a survey. ;)

It's about absolutes and not maybes for me on this question.

> Wavering is completely natural on such matters, for example the ctypes
> maintainer
> mentioned in his goodbye message (shortly after the svn -> hg transition)
> that he
> hadn't even looked at mercurial yet.  Which indicates to me that churn in
> the
> workflow can be a contributing factor in decisions like that.

Sure, and I have already received an email from someone saying that a
change to git might really hurt their ability to ramp up and contribute at
their admittedly small amount that they currently do (I also pointed out
hg-git exists so it won't be quite a transition as the svn -> hg one).

> More than that, changing one's opinion is rather natural, too.  As a real
> world
> example, I intensely disliked f-strings when they were discussed
> initially.  I
> prudently stayed out of the discussion altogether, and when I saw Eric's
> implementation I was instantly sold.  That's a complete reversal from -1
> to +1.

And that's fine and I'm not saying some people won't come to dislike
whatever decision I make (I actually expect it). But the whole point with
this is to find out if anyone is fundamentally against GitHub at a moral
level. You can say you don't like GitHub's workflow style, their colours,
whatever, and you can possibly get over it. But if you have moral issues
 with GitHub because it's closed source or commercial and refuse to use it
on that basis then the chances of you changing your mind on that is
probably fairly slim.

> I can't imagine that a statistician would accept any results derived from
> an
> inquiry worded like that.

My inquiry is to see if anyone has such reservations about GitHub that
there is no chance they will ever use it because of fundamentally held
beliefs. The email is strongly worded because I only care about people with
strong feelings. The email was purposefully worded to measure a specific
sentiment.