[python-committers] PEP 462: Workflow automation for CPython

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:59:19 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Interesting. Chromium has something kind-of similar, named "commit
> queue",
> > for developers without actual commit access. Once they get an LGTM, the
> > thing rolls automatically. In fact, core developers often find it useful
> too
> > because the Chromium tree is sometimes closed ("red"). We don't really do
> > the latter in Python, which carries a problem we'll probably need to
> resolve
> > first - how to know that the bots are green enough. That really needs
> human
> > attention.
>
> Another interesting (and relevant, I think) concept from the Mozilla
> community is the Try Server, where you can push a work-in-progress
> patch to see how it does on all the platforms. I.e. it runs all the
> same tests that build slaves run, but the repository it works against
> isn't accessible publicly, so you can try your work without breaking
> the main tree.

Yep, Chromium has try-jobs too, thanks for reminding me. And in a previous
workplace we had a similar process screwed on top of Jenkins - private test
runs wherein you provide a branch to CI and the CI tests that branch. In
fact, when your test may affect many different architectures, such "try
jobs" are the only way to do unless you really want to build & test a
branch on a few different OSes.

Once again, this almost always requires some dedicated developers for
watching the tree (Chromium has sheriffs, gardeners, etc.), I'm not sure we
have that for the CPython source.

Eli