[python-committers] LCA2014 presentation on Zuul, OpenStack's merge gating system

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 00:03:19 CET 2014

On 21 Jan 2014 01:19, "Meador Inge" <meadori at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If people find this idea interesting, I would like to invite some of
>> the Mercurial devs and OpenStack infrastructure folks (i.e. Zuul devs)
>> to the language summit (leaving it up to them if they stay for the
>> whole day, or just this part). I believe we already have enough
>> Reitveld, Roundup and Buildbot experience amongst the core development
>> team to assess the feasibility of the idea from that side of things.
>

> I find the idea interesting and plan to watch the linked video and
> read up on this.  Is it an all or nothing thing (i.e. either all devs
> operate using the new Zull-based method or no one does)?

All-or-nothing - with merge gating, *only* Zuul commits to the main
branches/clone (so we'd also be in for some interesting discussions with
the release managers and installer buiders - we may need to provide them
with the ability to override the normal gating process).

The underlying philosophy of the approach is reflected in the fact that
OpenStack doesn't have core committers or even core developers - they have
core reviewers instead.

Cheers,
Nick.