[python-committers] clinic churn after beta2

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Jan 8 19:34:39 CET 2014

Am 08.01.2014 11:08, schrieb Nick Coghlan:

> On 8 Jan 2014 17:06, "Georg Brandl" <g.brandl at gmx.net <mailto:g.brandl at gmx.net>>
> wrote:

>> > It's not design from scratch, since it should be fairly close to the 2.x
>> > string formatting mini-languages.
>>
>> Yes, I think the feature set should be settled upon quickly.
>
> I'm not yet convinced restoring more string-like behaviour to bytes is a better
> solution than a dedicated type specifically for working with ASCII compatible
> wire protocols (that approach is still being kicked around as a possibility in
> the parallel discussion on python-ideas).

Not sure how that is different from converting everything to str and then
converting back after manipulation -- what people want is seamless and efficient
working with the "native" type for sockets, files etc.

But I haven't read up these threads, and I hope a PEP will come out of that as
well.

> One key advantage of such a type is that it could be designed to make "text or
> ASCII bytes" code like the URL parsing as straightforward to write as it was in
> Python 2, whereas adding formatting to bytes objects wouldn't help with that
> discrepancy at all.

Well, even if it works I just hope that wouldn't lead to everyone just using the
new type and leaving bytes to rot.

Georg