[python-committers] clinic churn after beta2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 8 05:51:18 CET 2014

On 1/7/2014 9:35 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 06:06 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> Addressing the key remaining barriers to migration for existing Python
>> 2 users would be an excellent objective to attain before we end
>> upstream support for Python 2.7, but it's one that would be better
>> addressed by a slightly shorter dev cycle than normal for 3.5 than it
>> would be by falling into the "just one more feature" trap for Python 3.4.
>>

> I was thinking about that myself.  If we said in advance what features
> we were shooting for, and it wasn't overly ambitious, we could do a
> release in six months.  No problem.
>
> Do we know of any (other) big projects waiting to happen for 3.5?

Integration of regex module?

> And has a consensus about byte formatting really coalesced that quickly?

I don't think so. Guido suggested a minimal method and I coded a Python
version of a version of that. But many would like *their* favorite
feature added. I would like to see a new method tested by, say,
mercurial. I also think there are separate questions as to what we want
in 3.x for writing 3.x code and what in needed for writing polyglot 2
and 3 code. If the requirements are not the same, I think multi-version
modules on Pypi (existing and planned) may in some cases be the better
way to go.

Terry