[python-committers] what's going on with Misc/NEWS?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 26 03:18:43 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> The NEWS update script could even use the revision history to decide
>> which order to add entries to the bulleted list.
>
> I think the annoyance with this approach is you will have to remember
> to add a file every time you do anything worthy of NEWS. Without
> something like ``hg newsworthy`` to take an optional issue # and then
> have you enter your NEWS entry and then use that to pre-populate the
> commit message, people will forget. Now granted adding the commit
> later is not a huge deal, but it is something that might happen if you
> forget to ``hg st`` before committing.

How is that any different from the status quo with people forgetting
an entry in NEWS? Just the extra step of needing to "hg add" the news
entry?

Well, perhaps we can do this in two phases - resolve the persistent
problem of merge conflicts first, and then worry about the separate
push race problem later.

Cheers,
Nick.