[python-committers] what's going on with Misc/NEWS?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri May 24 14:24:25 CEST 2013

I was trying to do a simple merge of a doc change between 3.3 and
default and the usual Misc/NEWS conflict came up. But when I looked at
the diff it was massive! Turns out that Misc/NEWS in default goes from
3.3.1rc1 to 3.4.0a1
(http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/24ffb0148729/Misc/NEWS) while
Misc/NEWS in 3.3 goes properly through all versions between 3.3.1rc1
to 3.3.3rc1 (http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/3c4a5dc29417/Misc/NEWS).

I have to get to work so I don't have time to fix this, but if someone
does have the time to unwind this mix-up that has accumulated that
would be great. And maybe it's finally time to bite the bullet and
come up with some way to automatically generate Misc/NEWS from commit
messages.