[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Nov 7 17:53:28 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Chris Jerdonek
<chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:26:15 +0100, <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
>>> What can we do? Apart from the obligatory joke of nudging him gently
>>> towards Ruby, I think calling his behavior out is a good idea. Cory
>>> Doctorow also thinks that "many trolls are perfectly nice in real life
>>> -- sometimes, just calling them on the phone and confronting them with
>>> the human being at the other end of their attacks is enough to sober
>>> them up" [3]. If that fails, banning him would show that we care about
>>> the quality of communication and technical prowess is no excuse for
>>> abusive behavior.
>>
>> As Brett pointed out, calling him on his behavior seems to meet with
>> pretty much zero success as far as modifying his future behavior goes.
>
> Aside from calling him out on his behavior and trying to change it,
> has anyone additionally made it clear to him that "if you continue
> this behavior, you will be banned from [insert as appropriate]"?  Or
> is an explicit warning not needed?

We could probably give him the explicit warning, and I suspect that
may come out of the skype call that was mentioned, but I think he has
to know by now that he's been toeing the line for probably 2 years. I
used to try to work with him, then switched to trying to talk sense
into him, then switched to defending why we do things, and then ended
up filtering his emails. I've seen others lead down the same path.

If he's actually reading what we're writing, it's never going in a
positive direction with him.