[python-committers] Is 3.1 open?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 22:26:10 CET 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>>> How so?
>> The release manager could clone the repository to getting it ready for
>> release, while the main repository accepts new changesets. The point
>> would be not stopping commits, ever.
>
> We could already do so with SVN, simply by opening a release branch when
> entering rc phase, and only merging selected (release blocking) fixes to
> that branch. There's nothing DVCS-specific here.

I came across an interesting explanation from Joel Spolsky the other day
as to why this isn't actually true (even with svnmerge):
http://hginit.com/00.html

Short version: SVN and other non-DVCS systems don't store enough (or the
right) metadata to support merging properly, so branching becomes
unnecessarily painful.

Cheers,
Nick.