[python-committers] branches and merging

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 3 04:11:26 CET 2010

Le Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:18:16 +0100,
Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 18:01, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl>
> wrote:
> >> The risk *seems* reasonably low, people on non-Windows platforms
> >> are unlikely to touch those files and they are unlikely to be
> >> edited by hand, and if the cost of fixing the problem is low it
> >> seems reasonable to migrate earlier rather than later.
> >
> > IMO the risk is negligible, due to the aformentioned precautions.
>
> Qualifying this somewhat: the *technical* risk is negligible.
>
> As for the social risk, that's a different story.

That was also my sentiment. These issues seem to be overestimated, or
perceived as a lack of care for the Windows platform.

This perception is wrong, I do care as much as others about the Windows
platform. It's just that having to manually run a script from time to
time if your editor screws up is not a big deal. I have to do it
myself, when SVN refuses my commit and tells me to run
Tools/reindent.py.

It is also why it doesn't sound reasonable to involve PSF money just for
such a psychological issue. But it's not my money anyway ;)

Regards