[python-committers] branches and merging

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Mar 2 22:51:42 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> Le Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:29:13 -0500,
>> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> a écrit :
>>> IMHO we got in this mess because we didn't have sufficient involvement
>>> from Windows platform users during the DVCS evaluation - people saw
>>> that there was some accommodation to Windows, and assumed it would be
>>> sufficient for our purposes. It wasn't, and a year later we are only
>>> just approaching a solution.
>>
>> It's still unclear that it's not sufficient, though. To me it seems
>> more like a case of striving for perfection while the current situation
>> should be good enough. In other words, I'm not willing to spend any of
>> my time on what looks to me like a non-issue.
>>
> And does it look like a non-issue because you are familiar with the
> Windows environment or because your imagination can't conceive of why it
> would be a real problem?

I use HG and do lots of tinkering on Windows, and my imagination can't
conceive why this would be a real problem -- unless people chose to
make it into one.

(yeah, you sometimes need to run fromdos or equivalent on new files if
checking in from windows, and it's nice to have pre-commit filters
that complains if you forget, but that's not really a big deal if you
factor in all the advantages you get from mercurial...)

</F>