[python-committers] branches and merging

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 2 22:51:04 CET 2010

> We really need to move to a dvcs for development sooner rather than later.
> It's been a year since the decision was made.  I understand that it will suck
> for Windows developers in the short term, but with all the discussion about
> the PSF paying for pdo infrastructure work, I think getting us off of
> Subversion would have the most immediate positive impact for development of
> Python.  If the EOL issue is the holdup, what can we do *right now* to break
> that logjam?  Can't the PSF pay somebody to make this happen?

IIUC, it's not just the EOL issue. There are tons of other things to be
done, and nobody willing to do them - everybody just wants them to be done.

So people who want the Mercurial switch to happen now really need to
step forward and volunteer to work on it, or else it won't happen for
another year.

Regards,
Martin