[python-committers] Providing .tgz sources

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Dec 6 08:15:41 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 22:24, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>>> These questions are difficult to answer with the download stats alone.
>>> If you really want to know, we should setup a poll...
>>
>> I could if people care, but I don't anyone does.

>>> That, in turn, is easy to answer: yes, there are. Certain Solaris
>>> releases had gzip available (even though /usr/bin/tar wouldn't know
>>> how to invoke it), but no bzip2 utility.
>>
>> If these are Solaris platforms we support then that's fine and we
>> should keep tgz files, but if these are platforms we no longer care
>> about then I say the lives of release managers should be simplified by
>> cutting tgz files.

>>> Not sure what page you are looking at; on
>>>
>>> http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
>>>
>>> we do.
>>
>> I was actually looking at that page, but the size specifics are below
>> the download links and are only noticeable if you scroll far enough
>> down. I doubt I am the only person who has made that mistake.
>>
>> -Brett

>>> You would also need to specify what page you refer to as "the download
>>> page".
>>>
> Surely this is all bike shedding.

I don't think so when we are trying to make getting a new release
easier w.r.t. smaller source download.

> Will anyone fail to download Python
> because we don't offer a .xz foramt download? I sincerely doubt it.

I do as well.

> So
> what do we gain by such an addition to compensate for the increasing
> complexity to be faced during releases?

It only increases complexity if we don't cut one of the tar.bz2 or tgz
source releases. But by offering a a tar.xz file we can give people a
smaller download which saves everyone time and bandwidth which can
matter if the downloader's Internet connection is slow and/or costly.

-Brett