[python-committers] Survey about DVCSs compared to svn

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 1 21:08:07 CET 2009

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> and that it takes forever
>
> Not sure about that - I *do* port my own changes, and while the merges
> are quicker than a full recompile or running the test suite, they're
> still far, far, slower than applying an equivalent patch or doing an svn
> update.

I meant that as a relative qualification indeed (merging a single
revision specified on the command line as opposed to merging all
available versions).

I just measured merging r70081, and it took 42s.

> Given that "svnmerge block" is pretty slow as well, my suspicion is that
> the property calculations and the auto-generation of the commit message
> are less than lightning fast. (I don't how much that could be improved
> by speeding up the underlying svn metadata retrieval - wasn't the server
> updated to svn 1.5 fairly recently?)

Indeed. However, I had not upgraded the repository itself. I did now
"svnadmin upgrade", and "svn-populate-node-origins-index" on the
projects repository. Unfortunately, the same merge operation now takes
2m42. So I reverted the format upgrade (I had made a tar file before).

If anybody wants to experiment with that: help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Martin