[python-committers] Survey about DVCSs compared to svn

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Feb 28 19:34:57 CET 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> I have more or less the same opinion as Guido regarding svn merge. It
>> sucks. We bump up against problems with svn merge tracking on a
>> regular basis at work. We'd have switched to a DVCS by now if it
>> wasn't for tool support (trac mostly) and the fact that we use a lot
>> of svn:externals in our repository.
>
> We have a few of those (svn:externals) as well... Brett, another
> question for your DVCS champions!

As far as I can recall the PEP doesn't cover metadata at all. Subversion
supports metadata in properties via svn prop[set|get|del]. Do the DVCS
support properties, too? What about svn:ignore (ignore files and
directories via glob style patterns), svn:keywords (expand keywords like
$ID$), svn:executable (chmods a file a+x) and svn:eol-style (forces a
line ending style).

Christian