[python-committers] Survey about DVCSs compared to svn

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Feb 27 20:56:37 CET 2009

M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:

> IMHO, those are all feel-good factors which can easily be had by
> installing a local Subversion repo copy (sync'ed using svnsync (*)),
> except perhaps regarding merging - but I don't know anything about
> in what way the DVCSes are better than Subversion.
>
> (*) This provides fast reads. Writes will still have to to the
> main repo site. See
> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#webdav-proxy

So for merging we use svnmerge, for having a local repo we use svnsync.
If we continue that way, perhaps there is a svnlocalcommit for on-the-fly
committing, and so on.

But once you have to install, learn and maintain Subversion plus a handful
of tools, just to get the same level of convenience you get for free with
a DVCS, you can't tell me the former is easier than the latter.

Georg