[python-committers] Cutting Python 2.6

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 23:25:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com>wrote:

> > How do you create the release tag so that it contains change
> > sets A and A+2, but not A+1? (and no, creating a branch just for
> > the release is no option, because that means you have to copy all
> > the changes you made on the branch back to the trunk)
>
> creating a branch for the release is no option?  that's odd, because I
> do that all the time.  i.e.
>
>   1 - create trunk snapshot by branching
>   2 - build release kit from branch
>   3 - tweak snapshot in branch if necessary, repeat from 2
>   4 - when the kit is solid, tag the final branch
>   5 - merge relevant changes back to trunk

I second this - it's what I've been trying to say and failing, I suppose.
 This seems like the natural way (and how I've done it on any other
project), and avoids the need to lock out any working branch from commits.
 The only reason I can see for avoiding this process is if you believe that
merging is somehow difficult or impossible.

--
Nick